- WATCH: Wildfires scorch Oklahoma, Texas Panhandle and briefly shut down nuclear weapons facilityon February 28, 2024 at 7:35 am
A series of wildfires started in Oklahoma and crossed into the Texas Panhandle, prompting evacuations, cutting off power to thousands, and forcing the brief shutdown of a nuclear weapons facility.
- Impact Day: Storms with gusty winds | Here's when temperatures will dropon February 28, 2024 at 7:04 am
Impact Day: Storms with gusty winds | Here's when temperatures will drop
- Here's what to know about a US couple missing in the Caribbeanon February 28, 2024 at 7:03 am
The search for them began on Feb. 21 after someone discovered their catamaran abandoned on the shores of St. Vincent and alerted authorities.
- Pope Francis is taken briefly to a Rome hospital for tests after his weekly audienceon February 28, 2024 at 6:55 am
Pope Francis, who recently had the flu, was brought to a hospital in Rome for diagnostic testing after the papal audience Wednesday, the Vatican said.
- Impact Day: Storms, wind, dropping temperatures, flurrieson February 28, 2024 at 5:45 am
Impact Day: Storms, wind, dropping temperatures, flurries
- Michigan takeaways: Presidential primaries show warning signs for Trump and Bidenon February 28, 2024 at 5:41 am
Joe Biden and Donald Trump easily won their party’s primaries in Michigan, but Tuesday’s results showed that both candidates have cause for concern in their bid to win the swing state in November.
- As autonomous bus launches at Navy Yard, drivers’ union pushes backby Meir Rinde on February 27, 2024 at 4:14 pm
As the first self-driving bus in the city — and likely the state — starts ferrying people around a South Philly office park this week, the technology is drawing highly The post As autonomous bus launches at Navy Yard, drivers’ union pushes back appeared first on Billy Penn at WHYY.
- Residences rising; Hog Island’s past; Wealth gap widens | Morning roundupby Billy Penn Staff on February 27, 2024 at 7:00 am
Center City housing hits 5-year high More new housing units were built in the Center City area in 2023 than in the previous four years; a sign residential construction could The post Residences rising; Hog Island’s past; Wealth gap widens | Morning roundup appeared first on Billy Penn at WHYY.
- Phillies baseball is back, a review of spring training’s first weekendby Justin Klugh on February 26, 2024 at 11:16 am
What a weekend in Clearwater. After a long winter of little to report on, the Phillies actually came back and played two games this weekend, officially starting their spring training The post Phillies baseball is back, a review of spring training’s first weekend appeared first on Billy Penn at […]
- Kensington curfew; Cobbs Creek cleaners; Parker’s in-person work requirement | Morning roundupby Billy Penn Staff on February 26, 2024 at 7:00 am
Kensington curfew could shutter businesses after 11 p.m. Dozens of Kensington neighborhood businesses will be forced to close late at night — every night — if Philadelphia City Council changes the The post Kensington curfew; Cobbs Creek cleaners; Parker’s in-person work requirement | […]
- Meet the Cobbs Creek Park Ambassadorsby Sarah Frasca on February 26, 2024 at 5:00 am
Cobbs Creek Park boasts basketball and tennis courts, green walking paths and a brand-new playground filled with children, families, friends, pets … and a lot of trash. But the Cobbs The post Meet the Cobbs Creek Park Ambassadors appeared first on Billy Penn at WHYY.
- Sunday edition: Union leader ousted; Land trust delay; Puut-putt goes techy | Sunday roundupby Billy Penn Staff on February 25, 2024 at 7:00 am
RECAP: Looking back on the week that was Top union leader Ernest Garrett ousted after allegations The head of the biggest city workers union got booted from his job this week over The post Sunday edition: Union leader ousted; Land trust delay; Puut-putt goes techy | Sunday roundup appeared first […]
- Pa. mother charged with abandoning child, 3, at hair salonby TribLive on February 27, 2024 at 8:49 am
WILKES-BARRE — A mother went on an alcohol and ecstasy binge after she abandoned her 3-year-old daughter at a hair salon in the 300 block of South Main Street on Sunday.
- Federal probe targets organ collection groups for potential fraudby TribLive on February 26, 2024 at 4:53 pm
The nonprofit organizations that collect and distribute organs for transplantation in the United States are under federal investigation to determine if they’ve defrauded the government, the Washington Post reported Monday.
- Black Pa. country musicians celebrate the Beyoncé effect, invite new listeners to stick aroundby TribLive on February 26, 2024 at 1:07 pm
This story first appeared in PA Local, a weekly newsletter by Spotlight PA taking a fresh, positive look at the incredible people, beautiful places, and delicious food of Pennsylvania.
- Officers shoot, kill man who fired at them during domestic violence call, state police sayby Associated Press on February 25, 2024 at 6:35 pm
YORK — Law enforcement officers in Pennsylvania shot and killed a man who fired at them during a domestic violence call, including aiming shotgun blasts at an officer forced to dive off a porch to protect himself, a county prosecutor said.
- What to know about Shapiro’s pitch to legalize marijuana, its chances in the Pa. legislature and moreby TribLive on February 24, 2024 at 1:00 pm
Spotlight PA is an independent, nonpartisan, and nonprofit newsroom producing investigative and public-service journalism that holds power to account and drives positive change in Pennsylvania.
- Student loan forgiveness plan in Pennsylvania wipes out $45.1M in debt for 5,600 borrowersby Bill Schackner on February 23, 2024 at 11:22 am
The Biden administration this week canceled $1.2 billion in student debt nationwide. In Pennsylvania, that means 5,600 borrowers with a total of $45.1 million in debt have had their loans wiped clean, according to the U.S. Department of Education.
- College basketball notebook: Southmoreland's Brandon Stone turning proby Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on February 28, 2024 at 6:30 am
- Hotel next to soon-to-be-closed Monroeville Convention Center abruptly shuts downby Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on February 28, 2024 at 6:10 am
The DoubleTree Hotel next to Monroeville Convention Center is abruptly closing Wednesday morning, weeks after officials announced the convention center would close.
- FDA recalls eye ointments and warns about counterfeit eye productsby Hanna Webster / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on February 28, 2024 at 4:30 am
The ointment products were voluntarily recalled by the manufacturer.
- Paul Zeise: The NCAA tournament at-large selection process makes the whole thing a farceby Paul Zeise / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on February 28, 2024 at 4:30 am
- RedSlate Films to debut Civil War drama at Thursday 'Cinema Shorts Showcase'by By Joshua Axelrod / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on February 28, 2024 at 4:30 am
Six regionally made shorts will be screened Thursday at Sewickley’s Lindsay Theater and Cultural Center.
- Pittsburgh rapper Fungi Flows unofficially breaks Guinness world record with 50-hour freestyleby By Scott Mervis / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on February 28, 2024 at 4:30 am
- Leap Day deals from Wendy's, Chipotle and moreby Iman Palm on February 28, 2024 at 7:01 am
Leap Day is just one day away, but you can already take advantage of some deals in honor of the once-in-four-years phenom.
- Children with disabilities receive new 'life-changing' equipmentby Leanna Wells on February 27, 2024 at 6:21 pm
MOUNT UNION, Pa. (WTAJ) — For six children in Mount Union, life will never be the same. On Tuesday, Feb. 27, the children received new equipment that will help them and their families do more things together. "It will be so much easier, like whenever we go to amusement parks or on walks. His […]
- Sports memorabilia shop takes Happy Valley visitors back in timeby Maria Cade on February 27, 2024 at 5:34 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (WTAJ) -- A new store in Happy Valley is welcoming sports fans who are looking to pick up some new merch. The store, Nittany Cards Plus, recently opened in State College. It's located at 1631 S. Atherton Street, Suite 103. Nittany Cards offers collectible trading cards, signed […]
- State College EMT responds to 10,000 callsby Maria Cade on February 27, 2024 at 5:19 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (WTAJ) -- After working as a first responder for nearly 25 years, one area EMT can now say he's responded to 10,000 calls. "It's an honor to be able to take that many calls in the Centre Region," said John Surkovic. Working as a first responder is second nature for Surkovic. "I […]
- Centre Crest Human Services building to be renovatedby Hayden Thompson on February 27, 2024 at 4:02 pm
CENTRE COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) -- The Centre Crest Human Services building has received construction contracts that will allow for renovation. The former Centre Crest building will be renovated into offices for the county human service agencies, the county election department and a new Bellefonte Senior […]
- Pennsylvania rural counties facing future population decreasesby Tristan Klinefelter on February 27, 2024 at 1:50 pm
JEFFERSON COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) – The Center for Rural Pennsylvania presented their Pennsylvania Population Projection for 2050 in Brookville. The event is held through the Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce. The chamber hosts a series of informative presentations on a variety of important topics […]
- 10 takeaways from Nick Sirianni's and Howie Roseman's NFL Combine press conferencesby Jimmy Kempski on February 28, 2024 at 5:48 am
Philadelphia Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni and general manager Howie Roseman spoke for around 15 minutes each at the NFL Combine on Tuesday. Here are my 10 takeaways.
- Five thoughts: Flyers thrash Lightning for much-needed win in playoff raceby Nick Tricome on February 28, 2024 at 12:16 am
Bobby Brink came back and gave them offense, Tyson Foerster stayed hot, and the Flyers jumped on the Lightning for a 6-2 win that they needed coming back from a tough weekend.
- Instant observations: Tobias Harris' struggles continue in Sixers loss to Celticsby Adam Aaronson on February 27, 2024 at 9:57 pm
The Sixers have now lost three of their last four games.
- Nonbinary people have higher rates of eating disorders, underscoring need for inclusive treatment environmentsby Courtenay Harris Bond on February 27, 2024 at 7:22 pm
LGBTQ+ people are more likely to be diagnosed with an eating disorder than their cisgender counterparts, research shows. And LGBTQ+ youth who have had eating disorders are nearly four times more likely to attempt suicide than those who have never had an eating disorder. Mental health professionals […]
- 'The Watchers' trailer gives first glimpse of Ishana Shyamalan's directorial debutby Michael Tanenbaum on February 27, 2024 at 6:46 pm
'The Watchers' is the upcoming supernatural thriller from Ishana Shyamalan, the daughter of director M. Night Shyamalan. A trailer for the movie was released Tuesday. The film stars Dakota Fanning and Georgina Campbell and it is Shyamalan's directorial debut.
- Report: There's 'hope' Joel Embiid will return by late Marchby Shamus Clancy on February 27, 2024 at 3:34 pm
The Sixers have lost nine of their last 15 games. At 33-24, they're currently treading water in the Eastern Conference playoff race until reigning MVP Joel Embiid recovers from another knee injury.